Of course we can go through a very long nightime story of how fire was first discovered by man and how humans found and developed new and more effecient ways to create fire, but that is not what this post about. It's about how to keep one your fire making device safe from the elements. This is where the UCO matchkit enters stage right. Honestly I have not tried this little baby because I received the package that contained this kit during summer and actually it still is on my side of the planet. So, If I ever head out in the field the only thing that will greet me will be sun and a lot of it. It's so easy to light a fire these days that even a simple bamboo fire saw will do the trick.
This kit comes in 3 colors (OD, Yellow & Orange) and from the pictuires I guess you can pretty much tell what I got first. So after some dilligent browsing online I saw this website called industrialrev.com and it had some pieces of info on the said product which goes exactly like this:
"The UCO Stormproof Match Kit is a waterproof case that includes 25 matches and 3 strikers. The case features an integrated striker on the outside to provide an easy location for lighting matches and can hold up to 40 matches. The ribbed case is easy to grip with cold hands. Unlike other “waterproof” or “windproof” matches, UCO Stormproof Matches are easy to light, and will stay lit for up to 15 seconds, even after being submerged in water! Being able to reliably make a fire is vital for cooking, generating warmth, and in survival situations, making signal fires. UCO Stormproof Matches are perfect for camping, emergency kits, and should be part of every 10 Essentials check list."
there's also another section that outlined some of the Matchkit's features:
- Durable, waterproof case floats and keeps contents dry and protected.
- Molded, vertical ribbing provides a sure grip in wet, harsh conditions.
- External, integrated, and replaceable striker for easy lighting.
- Includes 25 windproof and waterproof matches and 3 strikers. Match case can hold up to 40 matches.
- Matches are easy to light and will relight after being submerged in water!
- Up to 15 second burn time.
- Extended length of match allows for added safety to keep from burning fingertips.
- Lights campfires, stoves, gas-barbecues, etc.
- Match case is US patent pending.
- Weight (Kit): 1.7 oz. (48 g)